There are multiple reasons why Microsoft failed in its recent release of Surface Computers. The so called "new class of PC" was probably a hype because Microsoft made too many compromises to get it to the market soon. The new Surface Tablet is thicker & heavier than the previous one and provides only about 4 hours of battery life. In some ways Microsoft was trying to get ahead of the technology today but got too ahead of itself in the process. The competition in the technology sphere is understandably unnerving, which forced Microsoft to act fast and ambitiously. The initial release of Surface has been a failure but it is just a glimpse of what the future is going to look like. It is just a matter of time before we have the feature rich, bug free Surface tablets on our laps.
I don't think the Surface has been a total failure. When you release a brand-new platform, it takes time to flood that platform with apps. I think the Surface will slowly gain momentum over the next few years as developers create more and more apps for it.
ReplyDeleteI don't know how they could've made the Surface Pro much better, given the technology we have today. To maintain backwards compatibility with ALL windows software, the surface pro has to use an x86 processor. x86 processors are power hogs because it takes a lot of wires to parse the complex machine instructions. 4 hours of battery life with an x86 processor is great imo.
I agree with Ijesh, microsoft has showed up 10 years too late to a game that was already won by apple. Surface is trash and Ballmer is a complete flipping idiot.
ReplyDeleteWhen I first saw the Surface, I was excited for its potential. But seeing that the RT is so limited, and the Pro is so expensive, I do not see any really great features that put Microsoft even at the same level as its competition.
ReplyDelete